A firsthand Walden experience
The best introduction to a new school is through self-discovery. Prospective students have the opportunity to spend time in the classrooms to meet the faculty, learn alongside students and truly discover the vibrant Walden culture. Participating in a Shadow Day is the quintessential experience for a future student and the best way to test the waters of our unique classrooms and community.
Schedule your shadow day
Select your child's grade division below. Lower School is comprised of Grades K-4, Middle School is Grades 5-8 and High School is Grades 9-12.* You will be redirected to a calendar to select an available shadow day.
*Note: If your student is in 4th Grade and applying for 5th Grade enrollment, please select a Shadow Day from the Middle School calendar. If your student is in 8th Grade and applying for 9th Grade enrollment, please select a Shadow Day from the High School calendar.
What to Expect
Each Shadow Day student will be paired with a Walden student in the same grade level. They will accompany their "Shadow Buddy" throughout the student's daily schedule, becoming familiarized with authentic coursework, classroom structure and student life.
NOTES FOr Parents
- Participants have the opportunity to schedule a Shadow Day for an entire school day based on availability.
- If your child is currently in Kindergarten and looking to join our Walden family in 1st Grade, your student will only shadow for a half-day, 8:00am-12:00pm.
- Shadow Days are available for students in prospective Grades 1st-12th and may be scheduled any day of the school week except for Friday.
- Shadowing students will be scheduled to arrive at the beginning of the school day (8:00am). We recommend arriving at least 20 minutes early to be introduced to your Shadow Buddy and prepare for the day's agenda.
- At the end of a Shadow session, each participating student stops by our Director of Admissions' (Johnpaul Mclean) office to review the day and review the Shadow Day experience. At this time, parents are also encouraged to stop by for an open discussion and next steps to take in the admissions process.
PrepAre for Your Shadow Day
We know Walden will be a new environment for your child and understand that meeting new students and stepping into unfamiliar classroom settings might be a little intimidating. However, we are confident that our carefully selected Shadow Buddies and supportive admissions team will provide each prospective student a comfortable, memorable introduction to Walden.
What to Bring
- A positive attitude and an open mind! We have a diverse student population and emphatically promote acceptance and respect for everyone at Walden.
- Basic school supply essentials. Feel free to carry along a backpack, water bottle, a book from home, notepad and writing utensils to actively participate in classroom assignments.
- Your student may bring their own lunch from home, however, they are welcome to enjoy a complimentary Walden lunch provided to us by our uber-talented in-house chef, Gabe Sowder.